Friday, July 10, 2009

In The Spotlight: Johanna Long



If you follow my blog, more than likely you know how much I love up-and-coming drivers. More especially, I love to get the word out there when they're from Alabama. This one is even sweeter because she is a young lady. We need more women drivers in racing to actually break through and make it to the top!

You might have heard about Alli Owens and her great runs in the ARCA series this year running for D'Hondt Motorsports. I have been happy for her and have written about her before.

Another young lady, Ms. Johanna Long, will be making her ARCA debut this weekend running for Venturini Motorsports in the #25 at Iowa Speedway.

"We got a phone call from Billy Venturini," Johanna said. "He asked us if we wanted to race at Iowa because he had no one in the car. That was such a good offer that we couldn't turn it down. They're probably one of the best ARCA teams out there."

"I'm not going to lie: I'm a little nervous about it. But what I want to do is get in the car and make it feel like a regular old Mobile race on Saturday night."
(quote credits: AL.com article )

Ms. "Jo" Long is a second generation racer following in the footsteps of her dad, Donald Long. Johanna has been racing Super Late Models in the Mobile, Alabama and Pensacola, Florida region. Jo is actually from Pensacola, but trust me, that is close enough to Alabama that we'll claim her. Johanna just won a race at 5 Flags Speedway on June 27, 2009 in the Blizzard series. This is probably why she got the call from Mr. Venturini.

Ms. Long has a great opportunity this weekend, in great equipment. I hope she can capitalize on this open door and get her name out there. Maybe even give Ms. Owens and the "big boys" a run for their money.

Good luck, Ms. Long. I'll be following you and hoping to see you in NASCAR soon.

14 comments:

klvalus said...

Go Jo! Woot Girl-power!

You always do such a great job showcasing new talent Lori...thanks!

HotfootLori said...

Thank you missy! Woot :)

CR_Racing said...

She looks like a nice girl. Hope she has fun and does well in the race!

HotfootLori said...

Thanks CR, me too.

photogr said...

Well it would certainly be in bad taste if I din't pull for her too, considering she is from my old stomping grounds (Pensacola).Maybe We should sponser her?

HotfootLori said...

Mr. Photogr, maybe we should. She ran in the top 10 in practice today and I'm having good vibes about her for the race :)

jon_464 said...

Lori, great article on Johanna Long. It's refreshing to see new talent rise through the ranks. I'm wishing her the best in the ARCA race this weekend.

Great job!

Gene Haddock said...

Nice one, Lori.

Good luck to Jo at Iowa, and in the future. Would love for her to show up Logano in that 25 car...lol

Claim Pensacola? I thought tri-cities was all Alabama. lol

Tsfanpc said...

Well how did she do Mrs. Hotfoot? Did she do well? Hope that she did.

It is nice to see young drivers male or female get an opportunity to drive for good owners in good equipment.

HotfootLori said...

Thanks Jon & Gene.

Ann, she did pretty well for her debut. Qualified 7th I think, practiced in top 10 on Friday. Was running in the top ten until about lap 60 or something, then got caught up in a wreck. Think she still finished in like 23rd or something. I just hope we hear a lot more of her in the future.

Tsfanpc said...

Sounds like she was having a good night. Well hopefully she will be able to do more ARCA races.

Forensic2 blog said...

Great pick up and post. It is great to see you posting again. I get use to this format soon and not be so late commenting on your post's.

Heck I don't mind females driving in cup.lol

Cheers2You

Unknown said...

Nice article Lori. Enjoyed it! I would have liked to see the race she was in.

HotfootLori said...

Thanks Forensic! I'm still getting used to coming here instead of FoxSports, myself :)

Thanks Larry. Me too.